This year in the library we are having a March Madness of books, GENRE STYLE! We will celebrate the winner of our tournament by announcing it at the end of March at assembly. The library is also going to give away prizes by holding a raffle. For every round you vote in you will receive and entry into the raffle. Prizes could include gift cards, books, Dewey ducks and much more.
That’s right, since we are in the midst of “genrefying” the fiction chapter books I decided it would be fun to look at our library statistics and do a tournament to find out which chapter book our students like the most. I took the top two books in 8 of our genres. If there was more than one book in the same series I used the entire series. The genres included in the Sweet Sixteen are: Dystopian Fiction, Fantasy/Science Fiction, Graphic Novel, Realistic Fiction, Humor, Adventure, Historical Fiction, Animal Fiction.
The first round matches are:
- Dystopian: Divergent Series by Veronica Roth VS. Hunger Games Series by Suzanne Collins
- Fantasy/Science Fiction: Rump by Liesl Shurtliff VS. Pi in The Sky by Wendy Mass
- Graphic Novel: Smile by Raina Telgemeier VS. Drama By Raina Telgemeier
- Realistic Fiction: The Fault in Our Stars VS. Ivy + Bean by Annie Barrows
- Humor: Captain Underpants Series by Dav Pilkey VS. Diary of a Wimpy Kid Series by Jeff Kinney
- Adventure: The False Prince by Jennifer Nielsen VS. Navigating Early by Clare Vanderpool
- Historical Fiction: All My Noble Dreams and Then What Happens by Gloria Whelan VS. Salt by Helen Frost
- Animal Fiction: Bad Kitty Series by Nick Bruel VS. Geronimo Stilton Series
Each Week will be a different round with the Sweet Sixteen getting two weeks of votes. :
- Round One: Top two books from each genre. Voting stays open for two weeks (03/03/14 – 03/14/14)
- Round Two: The winner from each genre will go against a different genre. Voting stays open for one week (03/17/14 – 03/21/14)
- Round Three: We narrow down the genres even more with the top four books going against each other. Voting stays open for one week (03/24/14 – 03/28/14)
- Round Four: The top two books go against each other to determine the champion! Voting stays open for one week (03/31/14 – 04/04/14)
- Winners will be announced on April 7, 2014
Here is the form for the first two weeks of voting. You may only vote once per round.